Northern Lights Public Schools is seeking feedback on two draft calendars for the 2018-2019 school year.
The calendars were approved in principle by the Board of Trustees on December 13 and have been sent to parents, staff, students and the community for feedback.
Some things to note about both calendars:
- School starts after Labour Day and ends on June 27th.
- They include 180 instructional days. Northern Lights is committed to ensuring all school calendars have 180 instructional days moving forward.
- They include Family Fridays. Northern Lights is committed to continuing to incorporate Family Fridays into its school calendars, but is open to shifting their locations or consolidating them to create longer breaks.
- They do not include any half days or early dismissals for students. In previous years, students have attended for a half-day prior to Teachers Convention in February. That is now a “no school” day for students and a half day for staff.
- Whenever possible, “no school days” have been aligned with the separate school system. The main exception is the Fall Break proposed in Draft B.
The main difference between the proposed calendars is that Draft B includes a week-long Fall Break immediately following Remembrance Day (November 12-16). This week was created using the statutory holiday for Remembrance Day and the day in lieu of parent-teacher interviews, and shifting three other Family Fridays from elsewhere in the calendar (October 5, December 7 and January 18).
When providing feedback, please let us know what you like about each calendar, what you don’t like about each calendar and what recommendations you have for the 2018-2019 school year. Please keep in mind that while we are interested in what your preferred option is (A or B), we would also like to know what elements you like or dislike, as the final draft recommended to the Board may look different than either of the drafts that has been presented.
To share your thoughts, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 16, 2018. The Board will review the feedback received and the draft calendars at its February 28 Board meeting in Bonnyville. We will share the final 2018-2019 school calendar with all stakeholders once it is approved by the Board.